Easter and the "explosion of the cart"
It was Pazzino di Ranieri of the Pazzi family, who rose the Christian banner on the walls of the Holy City. For this, Pazzino received the reward of three chips of stone, by the 'commander-in-chief', Godfrey IV de Buillon, having said to be part of the Holy Sepulcher of Christ, brought to Florence on 1101.
At first, the chips were under custody of the Pazzi family, and later entrusted to the Church of Santa Maria Sopra Porta, later called San Biago, until they were moved to the nearby Saint Apostles church in 1785 where they are still found and guarded today.
These chips were used to kindle the first spark of the "new fire", symbol of the new life that begins with Easter. After the fire was blessed, the flames were distributed to other families to use in their homes. All fires were extinguished on Good Friday to commemorate the suffering and death of Jesus and then relit again on Easter Sunday.
Thus, the custom believed to have been developed in Jerusalem during the crusades; the distribution of the Holy Fire to both lay and clergy, as a sign of Christ's resurrection, was adapted by the Florentines.
For centuries the holy fire, kindled by the chips, blessed, and carried to the Cathedral was used to light the wax of the clergy and people and the lamps of the church during Easter celebrations on Holy Saturday. On this accession, the fire was placed in a cart, which with time became always more splendid, and brought to the dwellings of the town's people, beginning with the residence of the Pazzi family.
In 1494 gunpowder was added to the fire and set off in front of the Baptistery, where still today the lighting takes place, and again on the street corner where the houses of the Pazzi families stood.
When Leo X , Giovanni of the Medici's, was pope (1513-1521) the 'colombina" little dove, a rocket shaped dove with an olive branch in its beak, was added to the celebration to symbolize the Holy Spirit and Easter peace. Since 1957, this ceremony has been moved to Easter Sunday, during Mass, a fuse attached to the dove is lit from the holy fire kindled by the stone chips, which shoots it down a wire extended from the Cathedral to the cart in front of the square. The cart, loaded with fireworks, explodes with the dove rocket igniting pyrotechnics of fabulous splendor for the entire piazza to see. Since its origin, the "scoppio del carro"festival has been elaborated with historical costumes and representatives bearing the heraldic insignia of the Pazzi family to celebrate this century old tradition.
Hotel Villa Stanley
Viale XX Settembre, 200
Zone: Sesto Fiorentino
Hotel Villa Stanley is a 4 stars rated hotel, built in the main Villa with its 25 bed rooms, reception area, bar, lounge-rooms and conference halls and restaurant.
Viale F.lli Rosselli, 56
Zone: Santa Maria Novella
The Golf Hotel Florence is a 3 star hotel in Florence, situated just 200 metres from Santa Maria Novella Station.
Hotel Villa dei Bosconi
Via Ferrucci, 51
Zone: Florence Fiesole
Hotel Villa dei Bosconi, a new hotel located in a splendid position, on the hills of Fiesole
Hotel Por Santa Maria
Via Calimaruzza, 3
Zone: Signoria Square
Hotel Por Santa Maira is a 1 Star Hotel located in the heart of the historic center of Florence
The Spring of the Renaissance in Florence
From 23 March 2012 to 18 August 2013 at the Palazzo Strozzi in Florence exhibitoni of the spring of the Renaissance by Beatrice Paolozzi Strozzi and Marc Bormand.
Florence show on Donatello and Lippi
Show "Prato, echoes precious - Donatello, Lippi and masterpieces of the Sacred", scheduled at the Museum of the Opera del Duomo.
Museum of Mural Painting - Museum of the Opera del Duomo - Cathedral Square
Exhibition at Palazzo Strozzi on the Renaissance
The spring of the Renaissance. The sculpture and the arts in Florence 1400-1460
Palazzo Strozzi, 23 March-18 August 2013
Information: T. + 39 055 2645 155
T. +39 055[...]
World Cycling Florence 2013
World Championships 2013 in Florence a path to the World Cycling Championships Lucca to Florence.
Luxury and elegance - Exhibition at Palazzo Pitti
The porcelain French court and the Ginori
On the occasion of forty years after the opening of the Porcelain Museum of Palazzo Pitti, Tuesday, March 19, 2013 opening of the exhibition 'Luxury and elegance - Porcelain French court and[...]
Paths of wonder - Exhibition at the Bargello Museum in Florence
Restored works of the Bargello
The National Museum of the Bargello proposed for the year 2013 an exhibition dedicated to some important restoration works of the Museum, recently concluded, that are the result of generous cooperation against the[...]
In the splendor of the Medici - Exhibition at the Museum of the Medici Chapels
Pope Leo X and Florence
The Medici Chapels Museum will celebrate the figure of Leo X, the first pope of the Medici family, in five hundred years since the election to the papacy. From the angle of Florence, the show will follow the life of John,[...]
Previsioni meteo Firenze da 3BMeteo